Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Leaving Amsterdam

On the final day here, the weather has returned to normal. It's grey skies and misting rain outside, a fitting setting for my last walk along the canals.

Cathy hopped in a cab at 8 this morning for Schipol airport, as her flight left at 10:30. Since we booked separately to get one ticket with air miles, I'm on a later flight, not leaving until 4:30 this afternoon. I'll take the tram to Centraal Station and take the train out to the airport. From there it's a long trip back, and with the 8 hour time difference (racing backward against it) I'll be in Boise at 11:30pm tonight. Weird.

The weather may be contributing to the melancholy feeling I have, but it's also my leaving here that's got me a bit sad. We had a great time here, again, and I wish we had another week to take in the city and pretend we live here.

This morning I walked out Prinsengracht, one of the main canals, for quite a while, until the rain got a bit uncomfortable. I turned in toward the city center and retraced my trajectory on the parallel canal of Keizersgracht, all the way back to the Westerkirk church near where I'm staying. It was a great walk, just gaping at the architecture and watching people and bikes go by. I'm glad I had these last few hours here to get out among it again before going home.

It's always nice to get home and get out of a suitcase, but I'll miss it here. But, at least I know we'll be back.

No comments: